One-of-a-Kind Bike Show
November 20, 2012
La Bicicletta is proud to present a showcase of one-of-a-kind bike crafts in time for the Christmas shopping season, from local & international artisans. On Wednesday, December 12, from 6-8pm come meet, explore, and buy the work of several unique artists, who will have their hand-crafted cycling gifts for sale. Get your loved ones something truly special this year! The artists on hand will be:
• Gilbert VandenHeuvel, aka The Recycler. Gilbert repurposes bike frames, parts, and rubber destined for garbage, into funky furniture and decor. He turns bikes into desks, tires and tubes into chairs and belts, and components into clocks and mirrors. The Recycler will be represented by his daughter, Grace.
• Noah Rosen from VéloColour. VéloColour is a custom bicycle painting shop in Toronto that specializes in contemporary bicycle refinishing and vintage frame paint restoration. Noah won the judged "best painter" award at the 2009 North American Handbuilt Bicycle Show, and has collaborated with La Bicicletta for his 2010 NAHBS entry. Noah will be making something special just for participants of this show.
• Suzanne Carlsen from Poka Cycle Accessories. Suzanne is an award-winning metalurgist and jewellery maker, and is a previous winner at the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition. She makes amazing musette's, head badges, and chain guards, as well as non-bike jewellery.
• David Atkinson, aka Hearts and Champions. David's canvas paintings are a unique interpretation of realism, perception, and heroics in cycling. The inspiration, materials, and methods used in his work demonstrates a complexity and maturity previously unseen in this subject matter. He may even have some limited-run posters made just for the show.
• Hannah Cross from Hannmaid. Hannah makes cufflinks, pendants and leather wallets with cycling themes, for subtle sartorial excellence. Since Hannah is from Melbourne, Australia, she won't be joining us in the flesh, but we will have her ware's on display since we like her work so much.
• Andrea Dankaninova from Velo Silk. Andrea's silk paintings yield intense color saturation and luminosity, achieving a 3D-like image. Andrea resides in Ottawa. In addition to the Merckx, Hincapie, and Hesjedal portraits already hanging in La Bicicletta, coming to the show will be Coppi, Hinault, Lemond, and Cancellara.
Krys Hines, from Cafe Domestique, will also be on hand to brew espresso on-site.
Date: Wednesday, December 12, 2012, from 6-8pm
Location: La Bicicletta, 1180 Castlefield Avenue, Toronto, M6B1G1 (click here for a map).
RSVP not required, but appreciated (so we have enough food/drink!).
Sponsored by Cafe Domestique.